Front Porch Farm is a 110-acre diverse organic farm situated on the Russian River just 10 minutes from downtown Healdsburg in Northern California. Each year we grow roughly 10 acres of vegetables and berries, 4 acres of cut flowers, 3 acres of Floriani flint corn, 14 acres of wine grapes and a maintain a plethora of fruit trees. At our neighboring property—Acorn Ranch—we also raise heritage pork and lamb. With ecological farming principles at the heart of what we do, we strive to be responsible stewards of the land.
At Front Porch Farm the days are long and the tasks are strenuous, so we aim to build a team with strong work ethic that supports each other in maintaining a positive & healthy working environment. We strive to find the delicate balance between working hard and having fun. Our community is bilingual and multicultural, and some of our farm’s core values are inclusivity and connection across these lines. We work 40-50 hours per week on the farm with occasional weekend responsibilities. At FPF we are committed to starting nearly all of our vegetable and flower crops in our own greenhouse facility. We are in search of an experienced person to help lead this endeavor.
- Maintain and implement sowing schedules for the Vegetable and Flower operations, respectively.
- Supervise teams of up to 5 people on tasks such as:
- Potting up
- Asexual Propagation
- Manage irrigation, fertigation, and spray schedules
- Maintain greenhouse facility:
- Automated irrigation
- Temperature control
- Diagnose and address pest and disease issues
- Keep detailed records
- Work part-time (20-30 hrs/week) on a field crew, details to be discussed upon interview.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Minimum 1-2 seasons working in a greenhouse or nursery
- 1+ seasons on a production farm
- Basic knowledge of diverse organic vegetable and flower crops
- Ability to juggle roles in the greenhouse with roles in the field crew
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a timely manner
- Able to work autonomously
- Experience, willingness, and interest in overseeing a crew of up to 5 people
- Basic understanding of CCOF Organic standards and protocols
- Competency in responding to pest pressure and/or compromised plant health
Our goal is to support team members in developing and deepening their skills, with opportunities to continue to grow with the farm. Starting compensation is $13-15, depending on experience. On-site housing is available in one of our Airstream trailers for $350/month. Included is all of the produce you can eat as well as discounts on meat and wine!
This position will begin as early as March 1. If you are interested joining the Front Porch Farm team, please specify which position you are applying for, and email your resume, cover letter, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org and visit our website to learn more about what we do: www.fpfarm.com.